About the Action Center
The Action Center is a hub for information and strategies concerning protection of the Coronado National Forest. It is a tool for the Coronado Planning Partnership and the public to stay informed and strengthen their advocacy efforts.
The Sky Island Action Center contains a treasure trove of information on the ecological values of the Sky Island region, and threats in the Sky Island Region. Formation of the Action Center was spearheaded by Sky Island Alliance. The group has been collecting, compiling and analyzing data on public and private lands in the region since 1991. This information has been put to use in regional conservation action: closing wildcat roads, restoring local ecosystems, protecting wildlife corridors, and advocating for wild landscapes.
In 2006 the Coronado Planning Partnership was formed in response to the revision of the Coronado National Forest Land and Resource Management Plan. The formation of the Partnership presented an opportunity to pool information across a broad spectrum of groups and institutions and the Action Center was born.
The diverse expertise of the Partnership joined forces with Sky Island Alliance to build a library of resources that include:
- Spatial databases of ecological, biological, cultural, and landscape values in the Sky Island Region
- Databases of ground-truthed threats
- Digital maps
- Presentation materials that local groups can use for their own conservation action
- News about conservation in the region
- Opportunities to get involved with Action Center contributors and other organizations